Pages

Monday 8 October 2012

Eve (the Eve Trilogy) by Anna Carey

“A relationship between two people can be judged by the list of things unspoken between them.”  - Eve

Eve by Anna Carey is the first in the Eve Trilogy. The story is set in 2032, in the New America after a plague (and its vaccine that was meant to help) killed most of the world's population. The U.S.A is now ruled by a King. Girls and boys are completely separated into schools. Eve, the protagonist, is graduating from school and hopes to become a great painter. One day before graduation one of her colleagues shares her plans and knowledge with Eve. It seems that the King nor the teachers are telling the truth. Everything she believed in is a lie. Eve escapes all of this and meets Caleb. They fall in love but with them being fugitives she must choose between safety and love. 

This book is AMAZING!! I don't really know exactly where this books achieves this success or how Anna Carey did it but I just found I was completely absorbed by the book and the characters. I read non stop and finished it in less than a day. I would burst out at random moments screaming for Eve or Caleb, I was nearly crying at the end when Caleb was leaving. This is seriously such a cute, sweet book for all the dreamers and thinkers out there. I really hope that I can find the next novel, Once, soon. 

I was so glad that by the end Eve actually managed to defend herself. Even though I was so excited by the story I was still getting annoyed by her damsel in distress act. I liked the transformation that Eve had and I was so glad when she actually saved Caleb herself, instead of being useless. This was the completion of her transformation. It is ever so important, and we learn this through the book, to question authority and the world around us, for we may not be told the whole truth. This is especially necessary with the internet and technology where anyone can write anything up. 

Although the details of the schools and the plague might be too far off there are quite a lot of points that Anna Carey make dealing with real life issues. At one point Caleb and Eve discuss the world that the King is building. The survivors live in a luxurious and extravagant place where the orphans work as slaves for them. This is kind of what happens with the poor and the rich. Also, I read so many books that the girl or the guy cheat or are just playing around that it was good that Eve found Caleb first. It shows that there is still true love and that not all guys are players/think girls as an object (as Eve was taught). Caleb was so sweet and caring, completely different to Leif. Love was really an important factor to the book. Not only romantic love but the love for our family, friends and neighbours. This is so important and many people don't treasure it. 

There were many quotes on these subjects and they are all so good that I'm writing here,

“Sometimes it seems like all the things I need to know, I don’t. And all the things I do know are completely wrong.” 

“You can love anyone. Love is just caring about someone very deeply. Feeling like that
person matters to you, like your whole world would be sadder without them in it.” 

“I loved my mother too,' I said. 'I still do. That's the thing - it never goes away, even if the person does.” 

“Love was death’s only adversary, the only thing powerful enough to combat its clawing, desperate grasp.” 

“loving someone meant knowing your life will be worse without them in it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment