Pages

Monday 1 October 2012

Bloody Tower - The Diary of Tilly Middleton, London 1553-1559 by Valerie Wilding


Bloody Tower; The Diary of Tilly Middleton by Valerie Winding is about the short lived reigns of Lady Jane Grey and Queen Mary as well as how Queen Elizabeth I came to the throne. The story is told through the eyes of the young Tilly Middleton who lives in the castle as her father is the physician.


This novel is part of the My Story series and like I said in my last blog, I really like that series. There are many things that are found in all of the books in the series that I really like and find useful, such as the timeline and historical background notes at the end. (More on that can be found on my last blog on the ' Anne Boleyn and Me.') I was lucky that by chance I read this one straight after the story of Anne Boleyn and Me, because it gave the story more flow and I had a bit of background reading going into this book. 

Now, about this specific book; I found that it was good but it wasn't the best of the series. The book's plot left a bit to wish
. Her friend, Tom, 'disappeared' and the story didn't really end. She gave the letter to Elizabeth and then nothing happened, no one knows what was in the letter. Of course, this was because the letter didn't exist and couldn't interfere with the real story of Queen Elizabeth, but the author should have made the fictional story more interesting. 

What I did like about the story was the actual historical facts it introduced. I was really intrigued about the childhood of Queen Elizabeth I and might research more on her. 

This book wasn't the greatest but if you read Anne Boleyn and Me this book is a great follow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment