Pages

Friday 26 April 2013

Haunting Violet by Alyxandra Harvey


“Tucking my nose into a book makes me completely oblivious to my surroundings. I would have made a terrible spy in the army--the first person to hand me a novel would have been able to shoot my head clean off without me noticing.”  - Haunting Violet



Haunting Violet by Alyxandra Harvey is the story of Violet and her new abilities to see the dead in the midst of 19th century society. Her mother was a fake spiritualist with a great desire and ambition to join the rich and live in luxury. Violet must obey her mother and follow her schemes however everything changes when Violet finds that an assassinated young girl wants her to solve a real ghost mystery. 

I quite enjoyed reading the book and I found myself pondering if real life spiritualists really do exist. I'm sure many are like Violet's mother, lying and deceiving just for fame and money. However, the world has such a numerous population, I really do think that maybe at least one person actually has this ability to see and talk to the dead. 

While reading this book I realise I would have really liked to be able to go to the past an spend some time in that era; in the richer side of the population, of course. All the dresses, no matter how uncomfortable thy are described as, hold some appeal to me. I realise how girls were treated as having to be all polite and obedient and that the thoughts there were very much sexist but I would like to spend just a week in that time so I can wear those clothes and live in such grandeur and splendour, with so many people to take care of you. 

Spoilers Below!!!


One thing I found with this book is that it is very predictable. All the mysteries were only mysteries to Violet and the other characters. As soon as I had learnt that Rowena was in love with a mysterious one I knew this to be Mr. Travis. Another example is that as soon as Colin was first introduced I knew this would lead to love. And a last example for good measures, is that as soon as we found that Wentworth was the money and power craving uncle to one of the most rich girls it was obvious he killed Rowena. 

Now, overall, I liked reading this book. Mainly because I was pulled into the story but if I had been looking for a mystery novel or one full of surprises than this book would not have played the part. 

2 comments:

  1. Hello, I am writing to congratulate you because this blog was concise and very well written. You truly do have a talent for writing blogs and it was a wise decision for you to make a book blog. I am also a big fan of fantasy books. However, I strongly disagree with what you wrote below the 'spoilers below'. I did not find the book predictable at all. I hardly knew who Mr Wentworth was until the end. I assumed he was an unimportant minor character. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book and recommend it for those who love fantasy books as I do. I hope you continue to read books and write blogs as brilliantly as this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I really appreciate your comment! It has certainly made my day :)
      Although I still stand to the book's predictability, I am glad that for you, at least, the book made for a good mystery.
      Thanks for commenting and reading our posts!

      Delete