Pages

Saturday 27 April 2013

Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

“Why be the sheep when you can be the wolf?”  - Grave Mercy


Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers is the first book in His Fair Assassin series. After escaping the brutalities of her father and her newly wed husband she is sent to a convent.There Isame learns that she is a daughter of death, just like the other girls of the convent of St. Mortain. She has been assigned a duty to kill those with a 'marque', to bring justice into the world. Ismae learns all the ways to kills a man and is ready for where her duties will take her. She has sworn loyalty to her God and convent to do their bidding. However,  everything is shaken when she starts falling in love with the man she is supposed to snoop and potentially kill. Also, she is starts to realise that maybe the convent can make mistakes.

To start off I have to say that this book is an older youth fiction; it is suitable to girls in their 20s. At the start I was a bit discouraged and thought that this book would be inappropriate for someone in their mid-teens. However, the book shifts in their focus, away from the villainy and brutality towards more of a mystery and romance novel. 

Although this book is all about an assassin, I think it can relate a lot to real life. The theme/idea that stayed with me through this book is one that I have always debated; the relationship between believing in religion and believing in the religion's faith.


All religions are about bringing peace, happiness and a harmony to the world however because religion in itself is made up by humans there are mistakes and conflicts often arise between different religions. I haven't found any religion that I can totally agree with but that is not to say I don't believe in God or in treating others with respect and kindness. I just think that sometimes that leaders of the religion input too much in what should be about God's or Gods' messages. Ismae by the end of the novel realises that she can serve her God (Mortain, God of Death) without having to obey every rule of the convent. The convent had such strict views of what the God wanted and because they were human they were subject to lies and greedy people. While, the God himself, was much more flexible and kind. Ismae decides that she will use the power that Mortain gave her for good, bringing mercy and bringing justice in different ways other than simply death; Ismae knows that even though the convent aren't happy with this idea, Mortain is much less greedy and is all right with her choices.

Also, this isn't too important and yet I think it is important to mention to anyone who hasn't read the book or who is still reading it- Anna, the duchess, is only 13. I knew the book mentioned she was young at the start but maybe it was just me, I thought that she was around 16 or 17. This really shocked me, because Anna was so mature for her age and was going to marry an old man. Like I said, not too important but when I found out I was very shocked.

I really liked this book (especially since it was a bargain when I bought it, only $3!!!). As I said at the start, it is more suitable to people in their late teens to their 20s. This book is much more than just Death and assassinations. It explores the relations of Gods and religion as well as being a romantic novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment