Pages

Tuesday 27 October 2015

The Goat who Sailed the World by Jackie French

'Eeegh' said the Goat.

That's right. This book is about a goat. A goat who is on a journey on the Endeavour (a picture of the ship is below). She makes friends with a young boy on the ship- he is a master's servant and one of his jobs is to milk the goat. They discover new lands, including Australia.


The story is fictional but based on a real story. The Endeavour really did search for new lands in the 18th century, and the boy, Isaac Manley, really did exist. And there most likely was a goat on board. However, the dialogue between the characters and Isaac's thoughts were made up.

I found the book very interesting. I assumed the story would revolve around the adventures of the crew with a goat in the background, but the goat is one of the main characters. It is written in third person, but gives the perspective of the goat and Isaac. I've never read a book revolving around a Goat, and I've got to admit, I was very amused. If you want to know how it is like to be a goat, then read this book: 'The Goat liked green fields', 'The Goat sniffed her kid', 'She liked the Boy's smell', 'The Goat enjoyed the fresh grass', 'The Goat was happy'. I could go on and on with these Goat quotes...

Overall, I quite enjoyed the book. I do not have any strong opinions on it- if you want to read it, go ahead, but if you don't, then don't. Whatever floats your goat ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment