Pages

Thursday 24 April 2014

Witch & Wizard : The Gift by James Patterson and Ned Rust

“Knowledge is valuable, but imagination is invaluable.” – James Patterson

 Witch & Wizard by James Patterson is a fantasy series that depicts the persecution of two magical siblings by the new totalitarian government, ‘New Order’. The Gift is the second instalment and it follows Whit and Wisty Allgood as they figure out how to better control and use their magic while trying to save everyone endangered – their parents, Whit’s girlfriend and all the brainwashed children. Meanwhile, the tyrannical leader is on the hunt for the Allgood siblings in order to take their gifts and be able to control everything and everyone.

I received this book as a gift and I’ve really enjoyed reading it. I can’t wait to read the next book, to figure out all the cryptic clues. However, I do feel that The Gift went in a circle; I don’t really know more than I what I got from the first few pages. It seemed that Patterson was trying too hard to extend the plot so that it could become a lengthy series; at one point, the plot became Whit and Wisty running away, then getting caught by the villain then escaping then getting caught – and it just wasn’t going anywhere! Really, none of the answers proposed at the beginning were answered. Maybe, this was because I skipped the first book and went straight into the second; the lack of background information could have hindered my immersion into the story. However, I don’t think this was too big of a problem as I didn’t even realise this was the second book until I started writing this post. Patterson managed to catch all the readers up to the full story quite easily, as there were so many references to the past, which I’m assuming mostly happened in the first book.


What I especially liked about Witch & Wizard: The Gift, was the fact that the Allgoods were more powerful when they played music, read poetry or shared their powers. Sure, they were always fighting in violent battles but it was through their more peaceful actions that their full power was unleashed. I think that this is a very powerful lesson to teach. Art is and has always been a potent medium to spread beliefs and to get the message across, especially now with social media to spread this art be it pictures or videos. Also, it’s very important that children learn that asking for help isn’t cowardly; actually, to be able to say you need help is very courageous. Two heads will get someone further along than one. Anyone, doesn’t matter how intelligent or brave they are, needs the help of someone, be it friend or family, to achieve goals or even just to confide in. Just like in the series, brothers and sisters are always a good person to rely on.


Overall, I really enjoyed Witch & Wizard: The Gift and really look forward to reading the rest of the series. I didn't really like some of the violence in the book, especially the fact that it started with an execution. However, that is not a ‘flaw’ in the book because it’s just part of my personality not to take a liking to the violent action in stories but it is something other children will enjoy. I think this book is be perfect for lovers of fantasy aged around 11-15.

No comments:

Post a Comment