Pages

Friday 28 February 2014

Divergent by Veronica Roth


‘There’s a difference between not being afraid and acting in spite of fear,’ Divergent, Ch12

Divergent by Veronica Roth is the first book of a trilogy. It is about a world where it is split into five factions: Erudite, Dauntless, Abnegation, Amity and Candor. Each year, 16 year olds have to choose only one of them to live in for the rest of their lives. Beatrice, one of these 16 year olds, struggles to make her decision, she can’t choose between family and where she feels like she truly belongs. In a world that’s supposed to be perfect, Beatrice sees the real truth. That nothing can stay perfect for long.

Divergent is a very well known book so that’s why I decided to read it. I was a little bit disappointed in the beginning of the book, because it didn’t capture my interest like I thought it would. There have been many positive comments on the book, so my expectations were very high.  The book didn’t get my interest right from the start, but after a few chapters it was definitely a page-turner.


Throughout the book, the suspense builds up. I think Veronica Roth did a good job in describing this made-up world to the readers. It is different to our own, so it made me curious about how things work in it, and she explained it very well. It also has many similarities to the real world. The book deals with issues such as corruption, and the want for power, which is what can lead to injustice and war both in the real world and the world in the book.

I loved the action and adventure in the book. It made me on edge because I couldn’t predict where the story would lead. It was predictable at times, like the clichéd romance, but there were also some unexpected things that happened.

I am very excited that the book is being made into a movie! I have high hopes for the movie, because I really liked the book, and I hope it fulfills my expectations. If you haven’t read Divergent yet, now is the perfect time to read it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment