Pages

Monday 24 September 2012

Shakespeare's Apprentice by Veronica Bennett

"My love can never marry a player," said Sam. "But she loves me because I am a player."

Shakespeare's Apprentice by Veronica Bennett is about a teenage boy called Sam Gilbourne. He works in Shakespeare's theatre as an actor. One day, he sees Lucie Cheetham and falls in love with her and she loves him back. But he is a player and she is Lord Essex's niece so they can't get married. They secretly meet and send letters to each other. But will they be able to overcome any obstacle to be together?
This book is set in England from the late 1598 to early 1601. It is historical fiction and romance. Although it is set in the past, it does not have Old English, except for the dialogue, so it is easy to understand. It is written in third person. 

I thought that the first 80 pages were boring. The book got a lot better in the middle but also got a bit repetitive. The first few pages were hard for me to understand because there were so many names so it was hard to remember the characters at the beginning. But after I finished the book, I went back to those pages and it was much easier to understand. This story is very similar to Romeo and Juliet except for the ending. I recommend this book to anyone who wants to know what life was like in the Shakespeare's theatre company or likes reading romance books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment