Pages

Wednesday 15 August 2012

So You Want to Be a Wizard by Diane Duan


"Reading one book is like eating one potato chip," she said. (Mrs. Lesser to Nita.)


So You Want to Be a Wizard by Diane Duane. The library is a refuge for Nita. She has read, more than once, all books in the junior section. One day, when trying to hide from Joanne- the bully - she was surprised to find a book she'd never read. It was part of the So You Want to Be a ... This time it was So You Want to be a Wizard. At first Nita felt silly, believing such thing. But, there was no harm in trying it out. From the moment she took the Oath her life completely changed and she now follows a path of adventure and different universes. She must fight for Earth.

The book was first published in 1983. It isn't old enough to be a classic, but it is old. Surprisingly the only relation to its age can be found with the number next to the date published.

The book itself is very current. Duane doesn't write about any technology or clothing, what she does write is of things still relevant today and of course, about a fantasy world that we wouldn't even know about.

"The book stands between the works of Diane Wynne Jones, in its wizardry and spells, and those of Madeleine L'Engle, in its scientific concepts and titanic battles..."- The Horn Book. Now, I'm not so sure that it was a mix between science and fantasy, but, I do know there were quite hard words. Mostly, it wasn't a single word being the problem but a phrase or paragraph. I'm sure Duane's description of the events were all very believable and interesting, but what is the point? If I can't even understand it. Many of the time I had to re-read a sentence or paragraph once or twice. The problem with this was that it didn't create a story in my head. It was a very interrupted reading and therefore I wasn't immersed into the book. 


The book is the first in the Young Wizard Series but I don't think I will be reading the next books in the series and I don't think I will be recommending this book to anyone. Don't get me wrong, it's not that this book was bad or even tedious. I read it in 1-2 days. However, the book wasn't very captivating, there was no adrenaline or emotions. The book was more just like words on paper instead of a story in my head. I think that the plot of this book was intended for younger teens but the language is for young adults. 

No comments:

Post a Comment